The Ballarat Line Upgrade worth half a billion dollars is open for proposals...
The Request for Proposal (RFP) has been released for the fully funded Ballarat Line Upgrade worth $518 million. The project is the biggest works package on the Ballarat line in more than a century.
The scope of the project include the design and construction of the following:
- Duplication of 17km of track between Melton and Deer Park West.
- Duplication of 3km of track east of Warrenheip Junction.
- Replacing the car park at Rockbank station.
- Passing loops at Ballan (5km) and Spreadeagle (4km) which will make it possible to close the existing Bungaree loop and remove five level crossings.
- New platforms at Bacchus Marsh and Ballan stations and extended platforms at Rockbank station with new pedestrian links between platforms.
- Associated station improvements and infrastructure.
- Stabling roads at Melton and Rowsley, and the removal of stabling facilities at Bacchus Marsh.
- Signalling upgrades.
Minister for Public Transport, Jacinta Allan commented on the size of the project,
“It’s the biggest rail project in regional Victoria, and we want the best in business to build it.”
The Ballarat Line Upgrade is a critical infrastructure project that will address operational and capacity constraints. Once completed, the upgrade will improve punctuality and reliability for Melbourne's outer western suburbs such as, Melton, Bacchus Marsh, Ballan and Ballarat.
The planning and design stage is currently underway for the major project. Early works including site investigations will also be carried out along the rail corridor early this year. The Ballarat Line Upgrade will be procured and delivered as a single works package under an alliance delivery model.
The Ballarat Line Upgrade will be procured and delivered as a single works package under an alliance delivery model. Melbourne Metro Rail Authority (MMRA) has been chosen by Minister Allan as the procurement and delivery body for the upgrade.
Major construction will kick off early 2018 and wrap up late 2019.
Watch this space for updates.