Downer EDI Limited's Evolution Rail consortium is the preferred respondent for the HCMT project (High Capacity Metro Trains), which is Victoria’s largest ever investment in trains.
Evolution Rail is a joint venture between Downer, Plenary Group and CRRC Changchun Railway Vehicles, and will deliver the HCMT project which will include:
- Commissioning, design, and manufacturing of the 65 HCMTs which will be used on the Sunbury, Pakenham and Cranbourne lines in Melbourne
- Both the design and building of two training simulators
- Design, commissioning, and construction or stabling yards and a train maintenance facility which will be located at Pakenham East
- A new light service facility for Calder Park
- 30 years of maintenance for the rolling stock fleet, simulators, light service facility and train maintenance facility.
Downer will be providing project management services, and will be responsible for overhauling the HCMT fleet, designing and commissioning the light service facility, stabling yards and train maintenance facility and maintaining the simulators, light service facility and train HCMT fleet for 30 years.
The project will be creating 1,100 full-time jobs in Victoria and Downer is also investing $16 million for the revitalisation of the Newport manufacturing facility.
Grant Fenn, Chief Executive Officer of Downer, said he was delighted that the consortium had been selected, mentioning that the company has been delivering rail solutions for Australian customers for over 100 years.
“…We look forward to working closely with Public Transport Victoria to deliver this critical project for the people of Victoria,” he said.
We’re proud to have helped Downer with this project, and congratulate the company on becoming the preferred respondent.