How To Get Your HR Licence


Many people wanting to pursue a career in trucking, logistics, construction or mining obtain their Heavy Rigid (HR) ticket as a way of gaining a foothold in their chosen industry. In fact, the HR license is the highest class of truck licence that can be obtained from a regular car license and enables the license holder to operate the following:

  • Buses and trucks with a gross vehicle mass (GVM) in excess of eight tonnes and with three or more axles
  • Towed trailers with a GVM of under nine tonnes
  • Bendy buses which are articulated by definition, but treated as rigid vehicles

How do you get your Heavy Rigid license?


To get your Heavy Rigid license, there are some eligibility criteria that you need to meet:

  • You must have held a Class C car licence (or higher) in either a provisional, probationary or open capacity for at least two years
  • If you are upgrading from a car licence, you must also pass the RMS (or equivalent in your state or territory) written knowledge test. This is not required if you currently hold a LR or MR license
  • Pass the on road practical test
  • Pass an eyesight test
  • If there is a medical condition currently listed on your license, you need a medical certificate for the new class of licence you are applying for
  • If you are going to use your HR Licence to drive a bus, you may also need to obtain your driver’s authorisation from TMR

What is a HR license?

A HR truck license is the requisite accreditation to be able to drive a bus or truck (including a mobile crane or prime mover) with over 8 tonne Gross Vehicle Mass (GVM) and 3 or more axles.

There are two types of HR license you need to consider:

  1. Condition B Heavy Rigid licence – enables you to drive vehicles which are an Automatic HR and a Synchromesh HR (normal single clutch manual, which is the same as a car). This is the easier license to obtain and is the commonly choice for people who will not be driving crash gearboxes.
  2. Unrestricted Heavy Rigid licence – enables you to drive a HR vehicle with a crash or road ranger gearbox which requires double clutching to change gears and matching engine revs to road speed. This gearbox is more challenging when driven for the first time, but obtaining this class of license will enable you to drive all HR vehicles.

What is the difference between the HR and MR license?


While the HR ticket enables you to drive trucks and buses over eight tonnes GVM and with three or more axles, the MR license allows for operating trucks and buses over eight tonnes with two axles only. As with the HR license, the MR carries with it a restriction of a maximum of nine tonnes GVM for towed trailers.

How do I find HR license training and courses in Australia?

Given the demand for HR licenses in Australia, training courses are easy to come by. There are many driver training courses available in all states and territories, delivered by Registered Training Organisations (RTOs).

A typical course format would be as follows:

  • Conducting a pre-operational vehicle check
  • Cabin Drills
  • Starting, moving off, shutting down and securing the vehicle
  • Operation of the steering, gears, brakes and accelerator
  • Creation and maintenance of adequate crash avoidance space
  • Road rules and directions
  • Reversing
  • Hill Stopping and starting
  • Load Securing
  • Bus Stop Procedures (only applicable if course is conducted in a bus)
  • Final competency assessment

What does it cost to get a Heavy Rigid ticket?

The cost of completing a Heavy Rigid training course will depend on the training provider and which of the two license types you complete. Indicatively, you can expect to pay between $750 and $900 for the Condition B HR license, or between $1200 to $1800 for the Unrestricted HR license.

How do I hire a Truck?

If you are looking to hire a truck for your next job, the best way to find one is right here at iSeekplant. We have equipment suppliers from single-machine owners right through to large fleet managers and a huge range of trucks to meet your specific needs. You can source competitive quotes by getting started on our “Get Rates” tool now. Click here to get started!

How can I win work for my Truck?

By simply registering your equipment hire company at iSeekplant, you are giving yourself the best chance to find work for your truck. We are Australia’s leading machinery search site and always ensure that we accurately match jobs to your equipment and capabilities. Start the new financial year with a strong pipeline of business for your equipment.

What is a HR License?


A HR license is the necessary accreditation to be able to drive a bus or truck (including a mobile crane or prime mover) with over 8 tonne GVM and 3 or more axles.

How do I get my HR License?

You can obtain your HR License by successfully completing a Heavy Rigid License training course through a Registered Training Organisation (RTO) in your local area.

What is the difference between a MR and HR License?

An MR (Medium Rigid) License allows you to operate trucks and buses over eight tonnes GVM with two axles only, while a HR License entitles you to operate trucks and buses over eight tonnes GVM with three or more axles.

To keep up to date with the latest industry and project news, subscribe to iSeekplant's Flapping Mouth blog today!

Subscribe to receive news on projects as it happens

Get the latest updates in Major Projects and Industry News straight to your inbox