It’s not enough to cut down an unwanted tree on your property and just leave the stump. If the stump is left, you may encounter problems such as:
- Disease – Rotting stumps bring fungi and health concerns. They can affect the local ecosystem as well.
- A tripping hazard – A stump can be an accident risk, especially for people with disabilities, the elderly, and children.
- Infestations – Various pests like termites, ants, or beetles are attracted to rotting stumps.
- Poor aesthetics – Face it, tree stumps are ugly. So much so that it might even affect your property’s curb appeal (if it can be viewed from the street).
How to calculate the cost of tree stump grinding
The cost of stump grinding ranges from $60 to $900. The national average is $95 a stump. The price difference mainly depends on the diameter and number of stumps, but other factors such as access and root spread also play a role. To calculate the cost of stump grinding take the diameter in centimetres and multiply it by three. That will give you a starting price.
Formula: Cost = Diameter x 3
Example: 85cm x 3 = $225
As mentioned above, everyone seems to be charging different prices for the same service. If you go with the wrong service you can wind up paying 300% more for the same job. The above is a starting price for an easy to get to stump in the front yard of a property, but there are other factors that will increase the cost. So to include them, you will need to multiply your diameter x 4.5.
Formula 2: Diameter x 3 – 4.5
Example: 85cm x 3 – 4.5 = $255 – $380
Factors that influence tree stump grinding costs
Type of treeThe stump is one of the most important part of your stump grinding project. Hardwoods will add to the cost, such as oak, maple, cherry, and sycamore.
Diameter of tree stumpAs can be assumed, the larger the stump, the higher the price. This occurs due to larger stumps simply taking more time to grind.
Ease of accessThe ease of access to the tree in question can also be a determining factor for the overall price of the service. If the trees are positioned in hard to reach areas as follows, the stump grinding will generally take longer, as the stump grinding machine is large and heavy.
- Proximity to windows or other breakables
- Narrow access
- Underground services
- Raised garden bed
Underground ConditionsApart from the factors that are obvious, underground conditions should be considered while estimating the cost of stump grinding.
- Soil density
- Nearby underground cables or pipes
- The extent of the root system
Clean up after stump grinding
Lastly, whether you are happy to keep the remaining stump grindings on site after the work is complete, or whether you want them removed completely from site will influence the price. If you do want the site clean after grinding a small charge for removal of the grindings will be quoted, otherwise if you are willing to keep the grindings they will be left in a neat pile in place of where the stump was.
Tips for hiring a stump grinding service
- Do not remove a tree stump by yourself. It takes the right knowledge, experience, and equipment to safely remove a tree stump. For best results, hire a professional.
- When carrying out your search, get quotations from at least three stump removal specialists, then compare their rates to get competitive stump removal cost estimates.
- Stump removal services do not require a license but make sure they have insurance. This is to protect you and your property from liability in case an accident occurs while you’re having a tree stump taken out.
- If you want to design your private backyard clearing project , access our DIY land clearing guide which contains few tips and tricks to help you visualise, plan, and tackle a DIY yard clearing job.